
The Devil’s Stone Inn
Lee and Suzy Cremer in 2024 standing outside their pub, which they bravely took on during the Covid-19 epidemic.
The datestone above the entrance to The Devil’s Stone Inn suggests that it was built in 1678. Datestones are notoriously bad ways of dating a building because they may have been repurposed from an earlier incarnation or used from an entirely different building.
The Shebbear History Project has much research into The Devil’s Stone Inn history and it’s licencees, as well as the other premises that once served the good folk of Shebbear and it’s visitors.
The black & white photo is of Lottie and Jack Marshall standing behind the bar of The Devil’s Stone Inn possibly in the 1950s.
Full details will be released in the Project booklet about the pubs of Shebbear in due course. Keep an eye out for the release of this not to be missed publication.

Last updated on 19 March 2025 by Admin