St Michael’s Church

Originally built in the 14th Century, St. Michael’s has altered much over the years.

Shebbear Church Terriers 1612

1612 Terrier transcript

Of the vicarage of Shebbeare

A trew note & Terrier of all the houses lands & portions of Tythes belonging unto the vicarage of Shebbeare above written both within the parish & without the parish as here followeth:

The hall howse & two other under howses with three Chambers over the same & two out howses

There is no Gleabe lands nor Sentuary ground belonging unto it but only a little Court an herbe garden an apple garden a backside & the Church yard, all the which are deare in xxxs [30s] by the yere

The portion of Tyhthes that do aryse grow & become dew yerely unto the vicar within the parishe is very little above xxli [£20]

There is also a free Chapple or Church appendant unto the same namyd Shepewashe, being two myles & halfe distant from the aforesaid vicarage

And the portion of Tyhthes that do arise grow & become dew yerely unto the vycar out of the same parish is scarce ixli [£9] the which doth scarce meinteine a Curate to serve the Cure

This note or Terrier above written was made by those whose names are here under written, in the first metropolitical visitation of the most Reverend father George by godds providence Archebyshoppe of Canterbury and primate of all Ingland in the yere of our lord god 1612

Hallinght Arscott vicar
John Robyns warden
John Hawkyns sideman
John Kyte sideman

[Arscott signed in full, the others made a mark]


Transcribed by
Dr Mark Hailwood

Senior Lecturer in Early Modern History
University of Bristol

December 2023

Last updated on 21 March 2025 by Paul Watts